Thursday, February 20, 2014

Engine cleaning - phase 2

Second step will be to replace the piston which was heavily scratched and damaged on one side. I will be carefully taking the rings of the existing one, heating and using a single thread of a brake cable.. In the end they are out. I sourced a 'Cote B' piston (There were A, B and Cs) from ebay in France from a vendor I know, here it is and ready to be back in.






I also honed the cylinder with some very fine grit sandpaper and some gas/oil mix. It came back to life very easily. I used a trick for that a piece of PVC pipe, cut in length to fit without pushing on the cylinder walls. I also bead blasted the outside of the cylinder and painted it with some high heat black paint.




A friend of mine and fellow collector in France found me cylinder head for a 1700 motor, which I bead blasted and got ready to get on the engine when I get to that stage. I took the time to clean all the other parts including the decompressor, spring and bolts along the way. 


The one on the left is the original head, which you cannot see from this angle but has some of the fins broken on the front. The one on the right is the replacement. They must be two different batches of foundry because they don't have the same marking. I suspect the original one to actually coming from a Solex model 1400 and not a 1700 (replaced or installed in factory with older left over inventory?)



I also disassembled, cleaned and prepared the carb to be set back on the engine.

Next step, will be reassembling the engine now that most parts have been fully degreased, bead blasted and cleaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment